My newest nephew, Harrison
From the Principal's Office
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to March! As an Irish girl, I love this month. However, it can be long and dreary weather-wise. Thank goodness we have had a pretty good winter! I stayed on island for this past winter break – it’s super quiet and lonely around here. I should be grateful for this time as we start to ramp up?? I hope everyone had a wonderful winter break and that time provided all of you the chance to enjoy family, friends, some down time, and rest. This year seems to be flying by.
Literacy (Math) Night is upon us already! Please bring your children to our sixth annual Literacy Night event. On Thursday, 3/9, from 5:30 – 6:30, come and enjoy a multitude of activities to support literacy. There will also be an opportunity to buy food and beverages from 5:00 – 5:30 pm before the Literacy games begin! We have games, giveaways, fun characters, and lots of information to share. This is always a well-attended, enjoyable evening. I look forward to seeing you all there!
School Council News Be sure to get your sign up forms in for Lip Sync show in May! We already have 14 groups signed up! We are very excited to be hosting our second Lip Sync show. This is an opportunity for students to put a group together to plan and practice a 3 minute performance pretending to sing a song. There will be dance moves, costumes, a few surprise performers, and lots of fun! Any questions, please review the documents on our website! Our next meeting is a joint council (NES, CPS, and NHS) meeting in the CPS café on Thursday, 3/9 at 3:00 pm
Driving at NES Thank you so much for your patience as we wrap up the construction at NIS. They are working efficiently and every day brings about much progress. We will continue to count on your patience, flexibility, and kindness. I must remind everyone that there is no driving in the front circle between 7:30 – 8:00 am and 2:00 – 2:45 pm. Busses only are allowed in the front circle during these times.
- If you are driving in the circles for drop off please let your child climb out on the school side of the building. If you, as the driver need to get out of your car, you need to park in the visitor lot on Backus Lane. The circles are for drop off only.
- Parking in the circles is prohibited. This is most critical during arrival and dismissal times.
- Handicapped parking is just that. No one should be in those parking spots unless they have a tag. I have asked Officer Thompson to assist with monitoring these spots.
- If you are dropping off or picking up your child, please do not leave your car running. This is incredibly unsafe and not great for the environment.
- I am aware of the challenges and frustrations with waiting in the traffic circle lines. However challenging or frustrating, please do not pass other cars and go out on the left side. I have seen children get out of cars on the left. This is an accident waiting to happen.
- Arrival is between 7:35 am and 7:50 am. Children should not come earlier in the morning.
- Dismissal is at 2:20 pm. Dismissal is not earlier then 2:20 pm. Please do not ask to release your child earlier than dismissal unless there is a doctor’s appointment. The doors will be locked and from 2:00 – 2:30 pm the front office staff is extremely busy.
- If you are walking in to pick up your child, please go to the gym doors. They will be opened for you by 2:20. During inclement weather, we will invite you in. Otherwise, your children will come out the gym doors after 2:20 pm. Do not come to the main lobby doors. These are exit only for many students.
- If you are doing the drive through pick up, feel free to pull into the drive through circle lanes (both off of Backus) and line up to go through the circle.
- NPS Joint School Council - CPS Café Thurs. 3/9 3:00 pm
- LITERACY NIGHT – NES Thurs. 3/9 5:00 – 6:30 pm
- Lip Sync Forms are due! 3/1
- Daylight Savings – Turn clocks ahead 3/12
- NES Term 2 ends 3/17
- NES Report Cards available 3/24 – They can be viewed online through ASPEN.
Kim Kubisch, Principal