Phone (508) 228-7285
The following members of the Nantucket School Committee are elected by the community to serve three year terms. Their responsibilities are outlined as follows:
- Establish the educational philosophy of Nantucket Public Schools
- Make the educational policy
- Adopt curriculum
- Evaluate the educational program
- Establish the regulations for governing and operation of the district, and
- Hire, evaluate, and (if necessary) dismiss the superintendent
The school committee encourages you to attend their meetings held on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month in the Nantucket High School Large Group Instruction (LGI) Room at 6:00pm.
HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE NANTUCKET SCHOOL COMMITTEE?
TOWN ELECTIONS OCCUR EVERY YEAR IN LATE SPRING, AND THE SCHOOL COMMITTEE IS ALWAYS ON THE BALLOT, WITH AT LEAST ONE OPEN POSITION.
THE SCHOOL COMMITTEE HAS FIVE MEMBERS, ELECTED ON A ROTATING BASIS FOR THREE YEAR TERMS. IF THERE HAS BEEN A RESIGNATION, THERE MAY BE AN OPEN POSITION ON THE SC FOR LESS THAN 3 YEARS.