Department of Special Services
The Department of Special Services meets the diverse needs of students by providing support in their academic, social and emotional endeavors, through a variety of accommodations, modifications and specialized instruction.
Nantucket Public School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, homlessness, or disability in programs, activities or employment.
Director of Special Services & Civil Rights Coordinator
Special Services Team Chair - CPS/NHS
Special Services Team Chair - NES/NIS
Bilingual School Psychologist
School Psychologist - NES/NIS
School Psychologist - CPS/NHS
Administrative Assistant to the Director
Special Services Interpreter/Translator
Office: Nantucket Elementary School
30 Surfside Road
Nantucket, MA 02554
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Phone: 508.228.7285 ext. 1355
Special Services Staff
Nantucket Elementary School
Pathways Preschool Teachers - Julia Carew, Jaimie Collum, Juliette LaFavre & Samantha Lee
Kindergarten - Lauren Soverino & Nicollette Santiago
Grade 1 - Samantha Turcotte & Claire Poulin
Grade 2 - Elizabeth Baraldi & Kara Evans
School Counselors - Jeanne Clark & Lisa Hood
Social Worker - TBD
Nantucket Intermediate School
Grade 3 - Sarah Gault
Grade 4 - Shelly Brannigan
Grade 5 - Laura Ubaldino
Options - Seth Kearns
IDSC - Cara Seal & Sarah Dalzell
Language-Based Learning - Melissa Garland
School Counselors - Rachel Foulkes & Aaron Peckham
School Social Worker - Emily Sybert
Cyrus Pierce Middle School
Grade 6 - Barb Condon
Grade 7 - Alyssa Billings
Grade 8 - Mark Gonnella
Language-Based Learning - Carolyn Conto Ross
Reading - Theran Singleton
IDSC - Casey Cordone
Options - Marita Scarlett
School Counselors - Dauna Coffin & Jaclyn Normand
Social Worker - Rebecca Cressy
Nantucket High School
Vocational & Transition - Ian Stewart
IDSC - Kim Dias
Student Success Program - Andrew Viselli
Guidance Counselors - Yuliya Chumak, Courtney Foster, Chris Miemiec
Social Worker - Julie Kingston
Related Services Providers - District Wide
Speech/Language Therapists - Cathy Bruno, Fred Durand, Emily Sylvia & Teodora Veleva
Occupational Therapists - Ashley Reuss, Alexis Healy-Wurzburg, Noelle Johnson
Physical Therapist - TBD
Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) - Laura Stanley
DISCLAIMER REGARDING ONLINE SPECIAL SERVICES FOR REMOTE LEARNING & PARTICIPATION
The Nantucket Public Schools is committed to providing your child with services and supports to the extent practicable during the current school closure. To that end, we are providing virtual sessions.
The services and supports proposed may be held individually or in a small-group virtual setting, which means it will be accessible to school staff, students, and parents/guardians who are provided a link to the virtual session. We will strive to limit the disclosure of confidential student information but the nature of these virtual services and supports means that they will be provided in the virtual presence of other participants, including the parents/guardians of other students, and we cannot ensure student privacy.
In an effort to protect the safety and confidentiality of our students and families, we ask that participants, including school staff, parents/guardians, students, and any other providers, adhere to the following expectations in virtual sessions (including those provided individually or in a group):
- Participants will not share the links to the virtual services or supports with others or otherwise invite or allow others to participate in the virtual services or supports, without the school district’s express consent.
- Participants acknowledge other participants in the virtual sessions will see whatever is visible by the participants’ webcam or other device, including but not limit to themselves, their children, and portions of their homes. Likewise, participants acknowledge that they will see whatever is broadcasted by other participants. Participants agree to participate in these virtual sessions in a quiet, private area free of distraction, to the extent practicable, to provide an environment conducive to learning and to protect student privacy.
- Participants agree not to disclose information about any other participant in the virtual session, other than the participants’ own child or family member.
- Participants understand that certain information that may be protected under, among other laws, FERPA, the IDEA, HIPPA, and the Massachusetts Student Records regulations, might be disclosed in the course of providing virtual services.
- Participants agree not to record in any way (g., video or audio recording, screenshots, or photographs) the virtual services or supports unless otherwise agreed to in advance in writing by all applicable parties. This prohibition applies to services/supports provided individually and in a group setting. The participants acknowledge that recording these services without consent may be prohibited by law.
- Participants agree to behave in a manner conducive to learning, to the extent possible. Pertinent district policies and rules, including but not limited to those prohibiting cyberbullying and any acceptable use policies, apply during virtual sessions. Students and family members shall refrain from sharing inappropriate visuals or using inappropriate language during sessions. The school district reserves the right to remove from a virtual session any participant who violates these rules or is not acting appropriately.
Your participation, or that of your child in any video, audio, or virtual sessions arranged by the Nantucket Public Schools means you agree to these terms and will not hold the Nantucket Public schools liable for release of any student or personal information
Participants who are unwilling to abide by these provisions should contact Debra Gately, Director of Special Services at email@example.com