From the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act of 2001, Title X-C, Subtitle B, Section 725. Local Homeless Liaison
"The term homeless children and youths' -
- means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence...
- children and youths who are sharing housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping groups due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
- children and youths who have primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designated for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings...
- children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings, and
- migratory children (as such term is defined in section 1309 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965) who qualify as homeless for the purpose of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described as clauses (i) through (iii)"...
If you have questions about the Homeless Education Program at the Nantucket Public Schools, please contact
Director of Special Services