We recognize that the move to Nantucket is a BIG one for every family to come to our shores. Below are some resources your family may find helpful.
Pauline Cronin is the Early Education Coordinator of the Nantucket Community School. She is an excellent resource if you have questions about kids' programming.
Getting to and from Nantucket
There are two ferry services, both leaving from Hyannis, MA (about 1 1/2 hour from Boston):
- Steamship Authority, which has a year-round car ferry service (there is a reduced car transit rate, the "Islander Excursion" for islanders because we go the "wrong way")
- Hyline Ferries, which runs year-round fast ferry service.
Both sell commuter books (you can use them for the whole family).
There is certainly the opportunity to just walk up half an hour before departure and buy a ticket. However, we recommend you make your reservations in advance if you know you will be traveling. The first boats in the morning fill up, and Thursday and Friday afternoon sailings from Nantucket are usually booked. Sundays getting back to Nantucket from Hyannis are like Fridays.
How to get Nantucket News
Activities on Nantucket for Families
For kids, I would also check out the websites for:
There is also the Nantucket Family Resource Center. They are a great source for assistance programs - not just financial, but also for newcomer families. It is worth a visit when you get there, they have SO much to offer.
Town of Nantucket
If you need to officially register as a resident of Nantucket, please contact the Town Clerk at 16 Broad Street
. (This is also where you would go for an official letter from the Town Clerk proving your residency for the aforementioned Islander Excursion program at the Steamship Authority).
Hospitals and Other Resources
We are lucky to have the brand-new Nantucket Cottage Hospital
, just completing major renovations this year. If you need pediatricians, you can call them.
- 866-211-6588 Mass General Brigham Patient Registration line (Nantucket Cottage Hospital parent organization)
- Ask for "Medical Record Number" when registration is complete
- 508-825-1000 Nantucket Cottage Hospital Patient Care line
Contact the following organizations to see their availability